The Unicorn

The murder investigation team at Riverside were alerted to a suspicious death at around 2pm on 9th January. Lily Goodman and her team made their way over to the property immediately to begin their investigations. They had been preceded by a number-of uniformed officers and the forensic team. At first it was believed that when a neighbour had alerted the police to the fact that the old lady had not been seen for several days, that she had either gone away to stay with family over the Christmas and New Year period and had forgotten to tell her neighbours, or that she had died of natural causes alone. It became apparent on entering the house that this was not the case. The old woman had been murdered.

Lily Goodman showed her ID to a uniformed officer who had been stationed at the front door of the property and entered cautiously remembering this was a crime scene and that forensics may not have yet completed their job of gathering vital evidence that would be crucial in solving this murder.  Jane Donne had been in-charge of forensics and said she had just concluded her task. The body had not yet been moved, an old lady aged eighty-nine lay on the living room floor, she was dressed in her nightwear and it seemed she was covered head to foot in blood, now dried, some of it had made a pool around her, but this had long since dried-up.

It was quickly established that none of the neighbours had heard anything and she had last been seen shortly before Christmas by her immediate neighbour, Mrs West, who was at present inconsolable and being comforted by a female officer.  Jane was however able to tell Lily that the old lady had died of multiple injuries to her aged and frail body it would not be easy to ascertain which blow actually-killed her. It must have been a prolonged attack because of the mount of blood loss. But why would anyone want to kill an old lady? it looked as if nothing had been taken and the home although it was stuffed full of antiques. The old woman’s bag was still on the coffee table and her purse contained a wad of cash. There was no sign of a break-in. Whoever did this was known to the victim and she had probably let her assailant in.

When her neighbour was somewhat calmer, Lily decided she would have a brief chat with her to see what she could find out about the victim. It seemed that Miss Irene Cohen lived alone and had lived in her house for over thirty years, she had been a school teacher until she retired some years back. Miss Cohen had never married and rarely had visitors, she had no family that Mrs West knew off. Miss Cohen kept herself to herself, but she would converse with a few of the neighbours if she met them out in the street, usually on her way to the shops, as she rarely went anywhere else that they were aware of. Most of her food was delivered and indeed Lily had already been informed that the fridge and freezer were well-stacked with those ready-meals that are delivered and need only to be microwaved. So, Miss Cohen wasn’t short of a pound or two. Yet, Lily already knew it was not her money that her murderer was after, so just what was the motive? Why did someone violently murder a frail old woman and take nothing? She had not been sexually assaulted, just bludgeoned to death. Why?

Lily and her team had to work quickly, and she set her uniformed colleagues going door to door to see if anyone had seen or heard anything unusual and to gain any more information about the victim that might lead them to a motive. Had she made a complaint about anyone recently, Lily had noticed most of the houses had Neighbourhood Watch stickers on their front windows.

At their first meeting of the case which was attended by an assortment of forensics, uniformed and CID officers, it was established that the old woman had died after they presumed she let-in someone she knew into her house, nobody heard her cry-out whilst she was brutally murdered in her own home. It had been further established that she had died three days previously and may not have died immediately but later from her injuries, so she may have been left for dead and then died alone from severe blood-loss and trauma, Lily just hoped she had not regained consciousness, but, then if she had maybe she could of- called for help. There was a phone situated in the living room. Miss Cohen had left a will leaving everything to a local charity, a children’s Hospice. That took away another motive as the will was only secured inside a writing desk and anyway there was no family members named on the will. Lily knew they had little to go on, but it was early days.

About me

This is me: home-writer, book-reader, dog-lover and occasional poet. I make this website to share my and my friends texts with You, dear Reader. Please: read carefully, don't be scary, upgrade your mood and be king and leave your comment. :)